Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Viva Las Vegas (Day 3 & 4)

We planned our vow renewal for the afternoon so we would have time to do whatever we wanted all day. Since we were still on Arkansas time, we could get up fairly early but it still felt like we were sleeping in. We decided to finish up walking the strip this day, so we had breakfast at the Rainforest Cafe in our hotel and went to the other side of the road and walked all the way to the stratosphere - about 5 miles. It really didn't take all that long and wasn't that bad. It went a lot faster than we thought it would. We stopped at a few stores on the way - found a Disney store to get the kids souvenirs from and checked out some more cool casinos.

When we got to the stratosphere I told Nathan we were riding the roller coaster and rides on the top. He claims at this point he told me he didn't want to do it. I did not hear him - and he watched me buy tickets for us to ride it without much objection, so I thought we were good. Apparently not. When we got up to the top, he was not happy. He did not want to ride the roller coaster. It really wasn't a coaster, just a short piece of track that goes over the edge of the Stratosphere and stops. I told him I was doing it and he didn't have to. He reluctantly rode it anyway. I could not stop laughing while we were riding it. He was cussing the ride operators (to himself) and when the ride went back over the edge a second time he said "stop it you idiots" - I lost it. I could not stop laughing. He was not sharing in my laughter at all - but I could not help it. He said he likes coaster with more track out in front, but not that one. We also rode the ride the shoots you straight up in the air at the very top of the tower - it was awesome! It got my belly more than any ride ever has! There was no cussing or madness on this ride :) The other ride was closed due to high winds at the time - but Nathan informed me we were not going to ride it any way :) I had originally wanted to do the ride where you jump off the top of the Stratosphere - but Nathan wasn't going to let that happen. Honestly, once I got up there I would have chickened out. That is really high!

At the windy top of the Stratosphere
Nathan was not happy - me on the other hand - I could not stop laughing!

We survived!

Our unplanned matching faces :)
We then went to the Top of the World restaurant in the Stratosphere. The restaurant turns very slowly and makes a full rotation every hour and 17 minutes. We both had awesome cheeseburgers! We made it a little under half way around before we had to hurry and go and catch a cab to our hotel to get ready for the wedding! About 3:00 our hummer limo picked us up and took us to our chapel! We finalized the ceremony plans and Elvis came in and renewed our vows. It was SO fun. Nathan had on an old school leisure suit (looked a little like a pimp) and I had on a sequin prom dress I found online for very cheap. They were perfect! We just wanted a fun little ceremony for our memories sake and that is what we got!

Headed to our vow renewal

Our limo :)

We then went back to our hotel to get ready for dinner and our other Cirque Du Soleil show that we had bought tickets for before we left - Mystere. We made reservations at a steak house called Smith & Wollensky per recommendation of Nathan's uncle. It was our most expensive meal by far - but it was a great experience. We both liked our food and had a great dinner. We then went to Treasure Island for the Mystere show. I hate to say it, but we really did not care for this show - and I hated that because the tickets were almost $300. Nathan and I both fell asleep several times, it was just not entertaining. (The show was at 9:30, so it wasn't like we were ready for bed or anything) Most of the show was just people dancing around doing ballet or flying or doing tricks with a harness on (which I could do I imagine). The end had some acrobatics that were pretty cool, but other than the old man that ran around playing tricks on the audience before it started, I was not impressed. I would not say that everyone wouldn't enjoy it - but I would say to try to get discount tickets from one of the street half price vendors there. It just wasn't for us. A weird thing that happened was we took a taxi twice this day. Once from the Stratosphere to our hotel to get ready for the wedding because these are two of the farthest points on the strip and once from Treasure Island to our hotel because it was pretty late and far when we got out of Mystere. Both times we had the same cab driver! How insane is that? The cab driver said she has been driving a cab there for 15 years and only had that happen 4 times! We even ran into people we knew in Vegas! With all these strange luck things happening for us - we couldn't get lucky on the slot machines to save our life!

Headed to dinner and Mystere

Dinner at Smith & Wollensky
Thursday we had no plans! We just saved that whole day for any last minute things we wanted to do. We wanted to check out Caesars Palace so after a breakfast in a french restaurant in New York, New York, we headed that way. We shopped in Caesars Palace Mall and had lunch at The Cheesecake Factory. I had some enchiladas and Nathan had salmon and shrimp - both were really good. We shared a piece of Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake - which was amazing! We went to watch the Bellagio water show - so cool! We then did some more shopping and headed back to New York, New York to ride their roller coaster and swim at our hotel. The roller coaster was rough! It hurt our necks, but it was fun! It was funny to see our picture afterwards - we both stuck our tongues out and didn't even plan it! Great minds think alike :)  We then got to our hotel and changed clothes to go swim. Well, apparently our pool closes at 6:00 - I swear I read it was 8:00, so they were closing the pool when we got there :( So, we changed for dinner and headed to Mon Ami Gami for dinner. Well, when we got there the wait was going to be an hour and a half - so we had to make other plans. We walked on down to Treasure Island and ate at Senor Frogs - we were looking fro somewhere fun and we were craving nachos. The food was horrible and cold and wrong and our wait was WAY longer than we were told. I don't recommend it. We had planned on going to Fremont Street after this - but it was so late and we had to be at the airport at 6:00 a.m. we just decided it wasn't worth it. So, we headed back to the hotel where Nathan played slots and I started packing our stuff.

Bellagio water show

Headed out to dinner on our last night
We got up about 4:30 a.m. and packed up and headed to the airport. Then it was time for more airport security fun! I forgot to take the water out of my computer bag - I had it on the plane coming out there so I didn't think about it, but I forgot I had bought it after security - so I had to have my bags searched and fill out paperwork on my water before they threw it away. Nathan had to once again get his license approved - then a buzzer went off and he was chosen for a random search. (After we got home I had a note from TSA in my checked bag that it had been searched also - we literally had every kind of search possible I think - which really makes me feel better about flying, it would be hard to get away with much of anything). We had breakfast at the airport and I slept on the plane ride home while Nathan took pictures of all the cool stuff I was missing. I just couldn't stay awake!

That first breath of Arkansas air was amazing - it smelled so good! Ahhh, God's Country! :) We then had a quick lunch at Jose's and headed home to unpack and get our babies! When we saw Noah he gave me a big hug and said "Momma! You came back, I am so proud of you! You are SO pretty!". Ryan just squealed with excitement and smiled really big! They are both amazing little people.

Vegas is an awesome city full of life! When we first got there it was very overwhelming and I wanted to leave. The people bugging you while you were just trying to walk somewhere, the people clicking picture of naked women at you trying to get you to take them, nothing being free (except for walking) - it was just a lot.  (Side story - Nathan decided on the last night to take the naked women cards for 3-4 blocks before our hotel and he got over 40 cards with all different naked women on them - impressive! They were left in the trash in the room through) But, by Thursday I felt like a pro and was fine with all that craziness and was sad to be leaving so soon!

I am so glad I got 5 uninterrupted days with my husband - I haven't had that in a very long time. It felt weird to go to the grocery store without him on Saturday! I really missed my home while we were gone (not so much that I didn't have a great time) and I think that is a good sign. I love my house, my chair, my shows, my yoga pants, my cherry coke with no ice in a glass, watching my babies play in the floor - that is the life! :) I am so glad I got this much needed, deserved (even if it is hard to admit) vacation and made awesome memories with my husband! Who knows, we may even try to go somewhere again next year ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment