Monday, April 16, 2012

Baby Drama

Just when I thought this pregnancy couldn't get any more different than Noahs - it does. Wednesday morning I woke up and I was bleeding. This has never happened to me before, and honestly even if it had, I would have reacted the same way. I called my doctor and they told me to come in to make sure I didn't have an infection and to look at the baby to make sure it was ok. So, I ran and dropped Noah off and picked Nathan up and headed to the doctor. I could feel the baby moving, so I wasn't overly worried, but didn't know what all an infection entailed.

They ran tests and said it showed no infection which is good. The ultrasound showed a possible ovarian cyst rupture, but couldn't really confirm it. The baby looked good on the ultrasound. The doctor said it was hard to tell, we would look further into at my scheduled 18 week ultrasound the next week, but my cervix may be positioned so that regular delivery will be impossible or I may end up bleeding more causing an early delivery. He said at 17 weeks there is nothing to be done about it so we would just have to keep monitoring it and check further into it at my ultrasound. So, we felt better about things and headed home.

The next morning I woke up with a stomach bug - nothing too bad, but just enough to not feel good. I was still spotting blood also. I then realized I hadn't felt the baby move since we left the doctors office. So, I googled my symptoms (which is a bad habit and I don't recommend it to anyone pregnant - your mind races enough as it is) and the first 10 sites that pop up are 2nd trimester miscarriage. So, that had me scared. So, I called the doctor and went to the breakroom at work and laid on the couch and waited for my call back. The doctor said it sounded like a bug and unless I was running a fever not to worry about it. As far as the baby moving, at 17 weeks it is not uncommon to not feel the baby move daily so they were not too concerned about it. I was told to go home and rest and drink a coke to see if that would get the baby moving.

So, I went home and took my temperature (no fever) and laid on the couch with a sprite. I took a nap and ate lunch and felt better. I still hadn't felt the baby though. I had been feeling the baby daily for weeks, so the timing of no movement was bothering me. I told Nathan to bring me home a chocolate shake to see if that would help. Still nothing. So, I had a Dr. Pepper with dinner (I was holding off on the caffeine since I don't drink it during pregnancy), but it still didn't make the baby move. I felt fine otherwise so I just tried to put it out of my mind.

I woke up early Friday morning with stomach bug symptoms again, but didn't really feel bad. So, I took some immodium and got ready and took Noah to daycare. My sister-in-law Kesha called me and asked me how I was doing. I filled her in and she asked me if I had tried a heartbeat monitor. I told her I had just told Nathan last night that I wish I had one to see if I could hear anything. She said there was one in the baby stuff she had brought me the other day - which I hadn't even had a chance to go through yet. So, I went home to find it and see if it worked. Well, I couldn't hear anything on the monitor and I could barely hear my own heartbeat on it, as loud as I thought I should be able to, so it really didn't get me anywhere. I decided to call the doctor and tell them I still hadn't felt the baby move. They told me to come in for another ultrasound.

So, there we were, back at the doctor. I was really feeling like a crazy pregnant woman at that point. But, I decided that I would rather feel silly than worried. As we sat there I couldn't help but think about the last 3 days events and how things went from normal one day, to just crazy in no time. As soon as the doctor started the ultrasound the baby was moving all over the screen! He asked if I could feel that movement, I told him no. He said he thinks it is a position issue because the baby is now facing with it's head up towards my belly and feet towards my spine. So, the only thing I would feel is the babys head move and with so much fluid between my skin and the babys head, it would take a lot of movement. So, apparently the baby movement went into hiding at the worst possible time for me! The doctor also informed me that the cheaper heartbeat detectors (under $50) were not able to be used until 30 weeks, so to just put it away. I told him I had just happened to have one at the house and thought I would try it, so that was good to know. I asked him about my symptoms I googled and he said the baby looked good right now, but he isn't saying that miscarriage is not a possibility - which is always is, and I understand that.

Since then, I have felt the baby move daily and have felt fine. So, hopefully the drama is over for now. We go in Thursday for our 18 week ultrasound and check-up so hopefully it will be all good news and no more drama. So, please include us in your prayers and thoughts for the rest of the pregnancy!

Speaking of prayers, I have a question. I know that God has a plan for everyone, including unborn children. So, if this baby is not meant to be born, then it will not be and I will ask for strength and understanding for that. So, do I pray for everything to be good with my baby, when it is ultimately up to God? Or do I just pray for strength and understanding of everything that happens? I have always prayed for healthy pregnancies for myself and anyone else I know, but it that how it works? This may sound like a silly question, but I honestly do not know the answer. I pray for all kinds of things daily, but is that my wish for how things should go and God has his own way of how things are going to go? Anyway, I talked to Nathan about it and he was just as clueless as me. So, I ask for prayers - in however you pray :)

No comments:

Post a Comment