Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Firsts: Birthdays, Basketball and Bowling

We always celebrate our January birthdays on New Years Day with a birthday party and black eyed peas :) My brother Eli was born on New Years day, my grandma on the 4th, and my mom and grandma on the 9th. I try to host this party so my mom doesn't have to host her own birthday party. So, I got all the Christmas put away and the house all cleaned up and organized just in time for the party :)

I rarely get any pictures when I host a party - there is just a lot going on. Our house is not small, but it is not set up very well for hosting (it was built by a bachelor so there is no dining room and the rooms are kind-of sized strange). We had 20 people at our house so we just all squeezed together and shared the love :)

The next day we watch the Razorbacks win the Liberty Bowl (Woo Pig Sooie!) and then we decided to take the kids on a date. We went to Cracker Barrel and took the kids bowling for the first time. To say they loved it would be an understatement! They were immediately so excited when we walked in the door. We had to wait about 15 minutes for a lane to open up and they both kept sitting there saying things like "I just can't wait", "this is going to be so much fun", "I cannot believe we are doing this" :)


Ryans face of choice when I told her to say cheese - she kills me!




They jumped up and down after every bowl and were constantly wanting to know if it was their turn again :) As we were changing shoes to go Noah asked me "Momma, what day is it?" I told him it was Saturday and he said "Can we do this every Saturday?" and Ryan chimed in "Yeah, this is amazing". Perfect way to start my year right there :) So much fun and memories made right there!




Momma won by 1 point!

Noah recently started basketball. This was such a hard decision for us. First he said he wanted to play. So, we got him a ball and a goal and started practicing. He literally cried through every practice we had with him because he "isn't any good".  This is where it got hard. He is 5 so I am not wanting to force any sports on him. However, I don't want him to want to do something and then quit as soon as it gets "hard" or before he works hard and practices at something. So, I literally went back and forth (even after signing him up) every day on whether or not to let him play. Then, I decided to just go for it and see what happens. I was so happy we got a coach we knew - both coaches are friends of ours and we know several kids on his team. I was prepared for the worst at his first practice - just because I knew he would be nervous. He got out there, but cried when he was unable to make any baskets. Some of the other kids could make it, but a lot more couldn't like him. I was so happy there were some kids on his skill level on his team. By the end of practice he was playing and having fun and said he couldn't wait for his next practice. That was a total relief! I was hoping once he got out there with his team he would loosen up and have fun and that is just what he did! His coaches are so patient with him and his skill level. He has one more practice this week and games start Saturday! They don't keep score at his games, so hopefully by the end of the season he will be more confident in his skills and have learned a lot about the game! Another bonus is my dad has been helping at practice - I have always wanted my dad to coach my kids. However, he is old and pretty faithful to Lamar schools and their sports. But, it looks like Noah has pulled him back out on the court to help out some at practice and it it good for so many reasons. 



No comments:

Post a Comment