Pages

Monday, July 6, 2015

Food, Fireworks, & Floating!

We had such a fun weekend celebrating America's Independence! We started out with a date night on Friday for Nathan and I - we went to see Magic Mike XXL. Yes, we like Magic Mike, it really isn't that big of a deal. The movies are funny and harmless to us - I still have no desire to go to a strip club and Nathan still has no desire to be come a stripper ( that I know of anyway) :) The second Magic Mike was not as good as the first, but still good and it was nice to spend time with Nathan.

For Independence Day on Saturday we spent most of the day relaxing at home. We played with the kids, Nathan smoked ribs and corn on the cob in his new smoker, and we went on four wheeler rides. We went and bought a few little fireworks to shoot off with the kids. Nathan went and played a little softball with his friends and then we watched our community fireworks show. It was a good show, but shorter than I remember - but still really good. Thankful our community does this for us all.












On Sunday we decided to take the kids on their first canoe trip after church. Before I go on with how this went, I need to do a little back story on me and canoeing. I used to LOVE to canoe. I went with my dad a lot growing up. Then when I started dating Nathan he and I went some - and well, that is not a good idea. We are not compatible canoers. Every time we did something wrong - like went the wrong way or flipped it was always my fault - I ended up walking on the bank the entire 3 miles last time because it was so bad. Not fun for anyone! That was 9 years ago and I have not gotten in a canoe since - I like being married more than I like canoeing :) After that last canoe trip 9 years ago, Nathan realized that the canoe we had was bent so it only went left, no matter how hard I was trying to steer it right, it went left. So, we have said for years we would attempt it again but have not had a chance. So, this was our first time out since then.

I was a little apprehensive before we went because of the kids. I have a big fear of them drowning and was worried if we flipped it would scare them enough to make them not want to do it again. There was a big black cloud behind us when we put in so we were trying to hurry and go before it started and maybe it wouldn't catch us. I was fine, then we actually got in the boat and I was instantly panicked - I didn't let the kids see I was scared, they always get scared if they can tell I am. But seriously, I was freaking out inside. Every rapid was a little anxiety attack for me. Ryan was not really loving it - the rapids scared her and she kept saying she wanted out. Noah was loving it but was yelling (in a joking way) "we are all gonna die" on the rapids :) There was one set of rapids we ended up sideways and stuck on a rock and Nathan had to get out to get us free and he said "we will just have to ride it out backwards" and I looked at him and said "don't you send me down these rapids in this boat backwards with these kids alone!" Luckily, he was able to turn us around - my hero! We did a really short float from Nathan's Uncle Danny and Aunt Debbies house to Byrds - it took about 30 minutes, which was more than enough for their first time and with the weather coming in. We then got to visit with Danny and Debbie before heading home.








That night we shot our fireworks at home since we live outside of the city limits. This year we did know to put up our dog Ozzy before shooting them. He had always been in a dog pen on July 4th until last year and then he ran away and was missing for 3 days! Our other dog and cats could care less about them. Noah loved the sparklers and parachute guys. Ryan liked her ear plugs and eating candy :)




 Happy for our independence. Happy for our freedom. Happy for our family. Happy for the memories made!

No comments:

Post a Comment