Pages

Monday, January 5, 2015

My New Year really FLU by!

Well, my New Year Celebration didn't exactly go as planned. The kids were home with me extra because their daycare was closed due to the flu (the babysitter and her daughter both had it). So, I took the kids to work with me Monday and Tuesday half days so I could get some work done and didn't have to leave them with someone else. Tuesday I noticed my nose was running a little and my throat started hurting a little. So, once the kids and I got home I put Ryan to bed and attempted a nap (I am not a napper, so this is hard). Noah and I ended up watching a movie instead and I started feeling fine after that. That night I had what I call "fever dreams" - crazy dreams all night that keep me from getting any real rest. I got up the next morning and took my temperature - 102 degrees. I knew it. I told Nathan I thought I had the flu and thought I needed to go get tested. He suggested I shower and see how I feel. I made it through a shower but was SO tired and weak after that I knew something was wrong. So, I made the appointment and started quarantining myself. I snuck out the back of the house so the kids (who had already been crying for me) wouldn't see me leave for the doctor. I got the flu confirmation and some Tamiflu for the entire family (which is not cheap by the way - they really know how bad the flu makes you feel and put a hefty price on the medicine!) and headed back to bed.

With the exception of a daily shower (which would require a 2 hour nap afterwards due to exhaustion) I did not leave the bed for 3 days. Thank God for Lifetime movies, the Back to the Future trilogy, Roseanne and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air for entertaining me. The body aches made it hard to rest and get comfortable. I swear I laid in every position possible all over our king size bed trying to not hurt for a few minutes and rest. I finally was fever free and felt great. I had no appetite the entire time but made myself eat and I was glad I did - I really think it helped me not be too weak and recover faster. I have had the flu one other time 8 years ago and did not get the shot and that time was way worse and longer than this time - the two were barely even comparable. I seriously thought I was dying last time and this time I knew I was sick and didn't feel great, but it was a lot easier on me. So, I don't feel my flu shot was wasted and will be getting one again - I have personal experience both ways and much prefer having the shot!

The entire time I was sick Nathan took care of me and the kids and the house all by himself. He was constantly bringing me things to eat and even made sure I had my black eyed peas for the New Year - even though he hates them. The kids were not happy they could not see me or be with me but he was great to help distract them and took awesome care of them. Hearing them cry for me was almost harder than the flu was on me. Noah came to my door one night and said "momma, I prayed for God to heal you so maybe I can hug you tomorrow" - yeah, he is pretty much the best kid ever.

The house is now cleaned and disinfected. All of our Tamiflu has been taken. I still have a little cough, but feel fine other than that. The kids and Nathan (knock on wood) are symptom free and hopefully avoided it this time. The kids each showed a symptom here and there but it would then disappear as quick as it came.  I was able to be home with the kids for the last 12 days so leaving them this morning was a little tough, but I am happy for the extra time I had with them and Nathan.

5 days in and I think I am finally ready to face the new year. My wish for 2015 is more fun family time with the kids, learn to cook more things, run at least twice a week, run some 5ks, declutter and live more simply, be better with a budget, and take the kids to Disney World :) I foresee lots of amazing memories being made this year. Happy New Year Y'all!

(sorry there are no pictures - I haven't taken any since Christmas - you know I am sick when that happens) :)

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are back to your old self. Being sick is no fun but us momma's will gladly take sickness in place of our babies (including husbands)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Noah was complaining on Saturday of his belly hurting and I swear I prayed all day and even asked that it be given to me instead of him (especially tummy bugs with small children - that is just messy for everyone) and then 3 days later I get the flu - ask and ye shall receive :)

      Delete